Monday, November 2, 2009

Nice weekend

It turned out to be a relaxing weekend at the in-law's. Despite the endless piles of things we had to stuff in the car in order to be away from home for just one night. Despite the crazy shenanigans, wrestling, and general mayhem between Grandpa, Glenna, and Cousin Lizzy when the sugar highs kicked in. Despite the chaotic consignment sale hunting through mountains of used baby clothes while Levi screamed. Despite sleeping in a strange bed and waking up at 5 a.m. because nobody informed Levi about daylight savings time. Why would I call such a weekend relaxing? (Cindi looked at me like I had lost my mind when I did.) Because I had tons of help with the kids. There were plenty of others to take care of Glenna's hissy fits and overflowing energy and plenty of people to try to soothe the fussy baby, and for once, I let them. Every mom eventually reaches the point when she doesn't care anymore if it's done her way as long as it gets done. That was my state of mind this weekend, and it helped me to finally relax a little.

The best part of the weekend by far was our anniversary lunch date without the kids. We racked our brains while we were eating and realized that our last date was for one of our birthdays- so in January or February. This was looong overdue. Justin wanted to eat at a burger joint or BBQ, but I stuck to my guns and got Italian. My argument was that he goes out to eat almost weekly with his coworkers, and it's usually burgers or BBQ. I go out to eat... never. (The fact that he goes out to eat so often without me is a sore point for me... but that's another story.) The minute we walked into the restaurant and I smelled the fresh bread, pasta, and spices, my muscles literally relaxed. It's amazing how the happy scent of carbs can affect me! Dinner was amazing. Fried motzerella, lobster ravioli, blackberry cream Italian soda, and some caramel, cinnamon, and ice cream covered bread pudding that I can't pronounce...wow. I think I just drooled a little typing that. We will definitely be doing that again as soon as I can arrange it.

Glenna had a sleepover at my brother and sister-in-law's house Saturday night with her cousin (who is 10.) She did pretty good, and Lizzy is already campaigning to do it again. I'm glad she enjoys her cousin. I was worried that my kids wouldn't really have close cousin relationships, since Lizzy is 8 years older than Glenna, and none of my brothers are anywhere close to starting families.

On Sunday we visited our old church. It was fun to see old friends, but hard at the same time. It gets more packed every time we go back, and we recognize fewer and fewer faces. We still love the music, the sermons, and the people we knew, but it's reassuring that we have found our home at Ottawa Bible.

I'm still not back into the swing of things around the house. Glenna's birthday party is at our house Saturday morning, meaning that about the time I have everything cleaned up, it'll get trashed again. Oh well. That's life, right?

No comments: