Friday, November 13, 2009

Glenna is 2!

It has been a while since I posted again.  Not because I had nothing to post about- because I had too much, and not enough time to sit and write.  Sunday was Glenna's second birthday.  We celebrated with the family on Saturday morning.  I always wish I could invite more people, but our house is so small and she has a November birthday, so an outdoor party is out.  Although, we could have had it outdoors this year: it was seventy degrees all weekend!  So beautiful.  I tried a new approach to opening gifts this time.  We all sat around the living room and held the gift we brought.  I had Glenna go around to every person one at a time and open their gift with them.  We gave her a little time to play with each toy before having her move on.  It was a nice approach.  She seemed to enjoy everything more and didn't get overwhelmed.  I think all the relatives liked opening a gift with her too.  She got some great learning toys, puzzles, videos, and clothes.

I really can't believe my little girl is 2.  Every time she climbs up on my lap and wants to snuggle, I wonder how much longer I have of the "cuddle years."  There are times that she wakes up crying in the night and I happily rock her to sleep regardless of how tired I am.  A year ago, I would have made her cry it out.  Now I wonder which night will be the last time.  I'm going to really be in trouble when my last child is this age if I'm this sentimental with my firstborn.  She is such an amazing gift from God.  I always wanted a daughter- that mother-daughter relationship is so special.  Don't get me wrong: I always wanted a son too, but for different reasons.  I am so thankful for my girl.


After the birthday party we went to Justin's cousin's wedding.  Glenna went home with my parents to spend the night.  Reuben went along too- he's like a moth to a flame where Glenna is concerned.  They played together all afternoon and evening.  He is such an amazing uncle.  I love seeing this side of him.  The photo shelves in his apartment are a little shrine to Glenna. 

The next morning at church (Glenna's actual birthday), I gave Glenna a hug, told her "Happy Birthday", and said "I love you."  Then she gave me the best birthday gift in the world.  She said "I love you" to me for the first time!  I cried.  She did it again that night when Justin was putting her to bed.  I tear up every time she says it.  I've been so looking forward to her doing that.

Well, this has been an exceptionally mushy post.  Now I have to start getting in gear for Christmas.  It's less than six weeks away, and I'm broke!  Yikes!

No comments: