Wednesday, August 19, 2009

An exciting day

More often than not, I complain about the lack of excitement around here. Well we had excitement today! I'll have to back up a few days to tell the whole story.

Glenna learned to open doors this week... finally. So far she's used this new skill to rebel during naptime (especially when we had guests over) and to wake Mom and Dad up at 5 in the morning during a storm. It's been more of a nuisance than anything, and it's not like we thought she would never learn how to do this- we just need to adjust. And apparently I need to adjust a little faster.

Today, I went to the garage to get some fish sticks from the freezer for Glenna's lunch. I was bending over the freezer when she slammed and locked the door. It took a few seconds for full realization of my situation to sink in. I was completely locked out (the front door was locked too.) I had no keys, no cell phone, nothing. For about 10 minutes, I tried to get her to open the door. I called to her through the door while she jiggled the knob, but I couldn't get her to turn the lock again. She thought this was a fun game, though, alternating between turning the knob and knocking on the door, giggling all the while. Eventually, she tired of this activity and returned to the basement to play.

Giving up on the easy solution (and any chance of saving face), I ran over to the neighbor's house and asked for help. (Thank goodness our next door neighbor is a stay-at-home mom, and someone I know well enough to not be too embarrassed.) Using her phone, I called the police, who gave me the number for the local locksmith. (I guess babies and toddlers locked alone in a house do not constitute as police business.) The locksmith was mercifully fast to arrive (due to my panic on the phone, I'm sure.) Guess these situations are a job for ex-cons, because the guy they sent very rapidly and skillfully opened my door with a credit card. Not sure if that was very effective in restoring my peace of mind... but at least he was nice enough to not charge me for his breaking and entering skills.

In the end, all turned out fine- no catastrophes with the kids and the media did not show up to do a story on the newest bad mother in town. (The thought did go through my head while I was calling the police.) Whew... I think I've had enough excitement for a while. Now I can get busy scouting out the perfect hiding place for a hide-a-key.


No comments: